1. “Stick together!” say Stan & Doris Stenson, of Rapid City, IA, who have been married for over 50
years. Through 12 moves and major ups and downs, this couple is still smiling, side-by-side.
2. “Don’t expect your spouse to make you happy,” is Doris’ advice to young wives. She warns that
pressuring your partner to meet all your needs is not going to work. Bob & Doris Knecht, of Rapid
City, IA, have been married for 64 years.
3. “It’s OK to disagree; learn to bend!” Herbert & Zelmyra Fisher, of Craven County, North
Carolina not only know how to stay married, they also know how to keep having fun and to change
with the times. Now both over 100 years old, they started a Twitter page together to celebrate their
4. “Put God first in your life,” advise Glenn and Ruth Shinn, of Toledo, Ohio. They have been
married over 70 years and are still involved in a Bible study.
5. “Respect your partner, exactly as they are.” Giuseppe and Giuseppina Pignataro of Sydney,
Australia, have been married for 50 years.
6. “Never go to bed mad.” Married 77 years, Ray and Irma Ziff, of Thousand Oaks, California, have
lived by this Biblical advice.
7. “Walk together and share what your reading with each other.” Bob and Cindy Venables of
Stanmore Bay, New Zealand, are avid readers who have been walking and talking for 51 years.
8. “Travel together for work, fun and ministry.” Herschel and Joan Jones, of Ocean Springs,
Mississippi, have been taking trips as a team for over 50 years.
9. “Allow each other to have unique interests and always support one another.” Brian & Allison
Davey (Mayor Alison Davey) of Cessnock, New South Wales, have been shining bright as individuals
and a couple for over 50 years.
10. “Through the ups and downs of life, just get on with it!” Too many spouses want to make a
fuss about the hard times, but Dorie and Harold Coupland have set a record as the longest married
couple in Britain at 78 years, by always “getting on with it!” They make their home in Middlesbrough,
11. “Work hard and spend wisely.” Italo & Maddalena Maratta, of Highland Park, New Jersey,
where they own a business. They have been married for over 50 years.
12. “Never even consider divorce.” Frank and Jan Mossfield, of New South Wales,
Marnie Swedberg shares Perspective Transforming Biblical Success Principles at Christian Women's, Business & Pastor/Leader Conferences worldwide. She teaches simple, biblical, life and leadership principles to seekers and saints, helping them grow spiritually, while equipping their host organizations to grow organically--to reach more for Christ.